Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Ranch: This is a long one.

Tim needed some time off work, so he took this past week off and we decided to spend time at The Arreola Ranch (not the official name, but it’s what I am calling it until we come up with a better one). My father's ranch is just outside of Monticello, GA where there are two neighbors: the Federal Government (Oconee National Forrest), and some interesting characters who own a house several hundred yards from the back of our property. It affords us the opportunity to commune with nature yet still have all modern day conveniences: heating/cooling, plumbing, stove, and for the ladies: hair dryers.

Leading up to this we thought we would have two relaxing days out in the woods with our two girls. Hehehehe, this was so not the case. Our stay was to be the first leisurely one since we took possession of the property. Previously, my father went there for a couple of days but focused on the outside, so the inside had been neglected quite a bit. We arrived Sunday just after lunch, and put the girls down for a nap. We casually picked up around the common area, attempting to make it child proof for our peace of mind. Forgetting several things on our way out forced us into town just before dinner.Once there, with the knowledge that we had a mess in our kitchen, we opted on DQ for dinner (one of the only dining facilities opened on a Sunday afternoon). After dinner, as soon as we arrived back at the ranch we put the girls down, then cleaned the kitchen as best we could given what we had on hand.

We woke up to a wonderfully chilly morning promptly at 7:00 am, got the girls dressed and ready for breakfast. Tim, the breakfast King, took the reigns and whipped us up a hearty meal. Isabella took an after breakfast stroll with her daddy and then did arts and crafts with mommy. Then it was off to work for Tim and I as we empted out the sleeping quarters, threw away most to the previous owners belonging, and gave it a good sweep. By this point I was exhausted. It’s difficult enough just doing the work, but taking care of two under three, added another level of fatigue.

Once it was all done, we had the opportunity to enjoy our evening. We grilled out hamburgers with asparagus Baked Beans. Isabella by this point was delirious as she skipped her nap.


Oh I almost forgot our nap story! When nap time came around, Isabella wasn’t having any of it. I tried laying down with her, singing to her, finally I just put her in the pack and play to see if she would go down on her own. This girl removed the floor to her crib, tossed it out and had almost climb her way out. When Tim went in to check on her I heard him say, “ISABELLA ROSE WALKER!!!”. I peaked in and found her straddling the side rail of her pack & play. A good parent would have kept from laughing and used it as a disciplining moment, but I just burstd out laughing.

We couldn’t resist leaving the ranch without making smores. To our surprise, Isabella didn’t care for them one bit.

Although it was a lot of work, we really enjoyed our time in nature. I learned several things out there worth mentioning:

1. We don’t need a lot to be happy/entertained and perhaps I am harming my children by giving them so much. I need to stop buying them toys, they will get plenty at birthdays and Christmas. I don’t want to be those parents who’s children need to be simulated 100% of the time, however realize that it starts with us. I am slowly coming to the conclusion that I need to give up my iphone, but every time I say that I come up with an excuse why I can’t. Perhaps I’ll do it for lent?

2. The second sweetest sound in the world is that of my husband and two daughters sleeping, the first being of them laughing together. Being away from all the city & home noises, it’s rare to find yourself in absolute silence; however at the ranch, aside from the occasional airplane, it’s a welcomed occurrence affording you the opportunity to truly listen.

3. The freedom of time. During our visit, we pretty much had no concept of time. We woke up when we woke up, ate when we were hungry, and rested when we were tired. Putting into perspective how structured our lives really are.

Here are a few more pictures of our time at the ranch.

Isabella and mommy decorating pine cones that are proudly displayed on our mantel.

Isabella, Abigail and I took a walk down by the pond.

Isabella on her favorite thing at the ranch. I think she's getting ready to take Elmo for a ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment