Sunday, October 9, 2011

Chicken Adventures


 
As some of you may have figured out, I have chicken fever. I can't remember how the idea got stuck in my head, maybe it's when I learned some small group friends had some...I have no idea.  That's all behind us (sort of), because today October 8th, 2011 we adopted three ladies.  Tips the gender balance agaist Tim's favor, but it's not as if we could get a rooster (the neighbors would have our heads). 
Posted by Picasa
We packed up the girls and headed out to Douglasville, GA to meet the chicken couple The Penny's.  Virgina showed us around the place which was interesting to say the least.  Isabella and Abigail loved seeing the free range ducks, geese, and various foul.
We walked into this huge pen where she kept the pullets, females under one year and we got to see the different breeds.  We settled on two Road Island Reds and one Sex Link, which is a cross between two breeds to improve laying.
They made it back in a rubbermaid bin with netting on top, and are adjusting well to their new home.  Isabella has named them: Dora, Madeline, and Mama Lama.  It's all a  learning curve, but we've enjoyed having them around.  I am so blessed to have a husband who puts up with my obssesions & dedicates his Saturday to making me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment