I started 2018 with my Grandma in the hospital and shortly after that, we said goodbye to her. I wanted to share my speech from her funeral. There is so much more to her, but give you an idea of how much she meant to those of us in her life.
I am Rosendo’s daughter and one of Angelita’s daughters.
My name is Angela too because I was named after her. Beyond carrying her
name I hope to emulate just a few of the characteristics that drew many of us
to her which were her faith in God, her love for people, and her service to
others.
As I was making my slide show the one picture I could not find
was the one I have permanently etched in my mind and that is of grandma on her
knees praying. She was in a constant state of prayer whether in the morning,
at EVERY meal or before going to bed. Beyond that the Bible was the only
book I remember her reading and she read
it daily. The Bible says that when the Spirit flows through us we
bear its fruits: love, joy,
peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and
self-control. That fruit is what made us want to be around her.
Along these lines Angelita was full of love. The Apostol
Paul said the only thing that counts
is faith expressing itself through love. She loved when we were most unlovable,
like during our rebellious
teenage years my sister and I were no picnic. However, despite whatever shenanigans
we got into she was always there with open arms, judgment free. Don’t
mistake me, she spoke truth and wisdom, but like Christ it was the perfect
balance of truth and grace.
And finally her legacy of service. Jesus said in the book of
Mark “If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all.”
Angelita did not live her life for herself, had she done that this room
would be empty. She devoted her life working to support her family
whether it was as a diner cook, changing diapers, or cooking us those delicious
homemade tortillas. She did it all with a joyful heart, never
complaining.
I want to close with a Bible Verse that describes the ideal
woman. It’s found in Proverbs 31: She was clothed with strength and
dignity; she laughed at the days to come. She spoke with wisdom, and faithful
instruction was on her tongue. She watched over the affairs of her household
and did not eat the bread of idleness. “she did” Her children arise and call her blessed; and
they say “Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.” Charm is
deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be
praised. This is my favorite part…..Honor her for all that her hands have done,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate. I think the best way to honor her memory is
if we all walk out of here modeling her example of faith, love, and service
just a little bit more. I love you
Grandma.



No comments:
Post a Comment