Saturday, January 22, 2011

Reflections from a 6 month check up.

This week has been a challenging week for the Walkers. Isabella started off not feeling well and after a visit to the doctor we found out she had a viral upper respiratory infection, which is a fancy way of saying a cold. I tried desperately to keep the girls away from each other but to no avail Abigail is now sick as well.

Thursday Abigail had her 6 month check up, and it was a rough one for mommy. Not only did she have an ear infection, the doctor prescribed me something for a skin irritation on her legs, and they sent me to Children's to see if she had Congenital Hip Dysplacia. Neither of which were terrible diagnosis, but all at once hit me pretty hard. Everything is fine. The x-ray's came back normal, she's on antibiotics for the ear infection, and her skin condition is now clearing up.
However, the trip to Children's and the few hours that it took to get the test results back got me thinking about suffering. Why is it that children, such precious creatures, are made to suffer? What would I do if one of my girls were diagnosed with something serious? Would I be strong enough for them and the family?
We're reading a book by Lee Strobel called The Case for Faith, and I wanted to share a few captions from the books fist chapter that have given me comfort.
"To quote C.S. Lewis 'God whispers in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains. It is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world.'"

"Suppose we had drugs for every pain, free entertainment, free love--everything but pain. No Shakespeare not Beethoven, no Boston Red Sox, not death - no meaning. Impossibly spoiled little brats-that's what we'd become"
At the end of the day true evil & suffering exists, but I believe for a purpose. To make us appreciative of what we do have, and to draw us closer to God. If and when we're faced with it, I pray that I will try to make something good of it as our God did putting his son on the cross. That's easy for me to say now that were not in the storm, but I hope to be able to draw strength for these words when the time comes.
Getting back to the visit. Abigail weighed 14 lbs and 2 oz, making her 13%, 25 inches @ 16%, 63% in head circumfrence. She's a little thing, but there's no concern. She's remains consistent and is on the growth chart. :) She got out of her shots, as I didn't want any more discomfort. We have to go in for a follow up, so she'll get her vaccinations then.
What is new in Ms. Abigail's world? Well I cleaned off Isabella's old high chair and now she's being introduced to the world of solids (more pictures to come). She's also starting to sit up & lover her little toes...oh how fast they grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment