Monday, April 11, 2011

Two homeruns in the kitchen.

I am not sure what got into me today, but I used the girls nap time to get dinner ready. I had taken out a pound of ground beef, so I gravitated to a pasta dish. After a little Internet searching I found this recipe: Baked Pasta. Tim liked it so much he asked if we could make a regular dish in our home. I did make a few changes (mainly due to not having the right ingredients): I didn't have enough sour cream so I added table cream to make the cup and a half, nor did I have provolone so I used Swiss/American slices, and added spinach, onion and garlic to the beef mixture. I also divided the recipe into two and froze the other for next week. It honestly was the best pasta dish created in my home, by far. The second home run was my Strawberry Pie. We had some left over strawberries from Publix and those we picked this weekend, so I made Tim a pie. I had to find a recipe with ingredients I had in stock or could easily bug my neighbors for (thanks Trez for the butter). The strawberry pie I grew up with had fresh strawberries, so transitioning to cook was an adjustment. I must say aside from the texture, it was stinking good. I didn't want to make a real crust so I used a graham cracker crust, and made the mistake of crumbling some left over crumbs on the top (which contributed to the burnt pieces on top). Regardless, I will make it again in a heartbeat. Also important to note that if you make this, do not empty all the leftover flour/sugar/starch mix into the pie crust...just discard.

No comments:

Post a Comment