Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Timmy's first visit to Texas


One of the few high school friends I keep in contact with, Elva Lambert, got married in March so between that and my dad's birthday I hopped on a plane to Texas.  One of the first things I do when I land in the Lone Star state is hit up the closest Whataburger.  There is something about a Whataburger sandwich that just makes me smile.  I knew I was in Texas when I was driving down the interstate between San Antonio and Corpus Christi jamming to George Straight's I am A Fireman with Whataburger on my breath.  :)

One of the things I associate with my home town are the refineries, as soon as you see those smoke stacks you know your home.  It's odd that I have fond memories of such ascetically unpleasing things, but living in the suburbs we made countless trips back and forth to town where they are lined up one after another.  At night it's a spectacle of lights, one that is forever etched in my memory.

Timmy and I were greeted with open arms by parents.  It always amuses me how much of an after thought I became once grand kids came into the picture. 

Aside from the wedding and spending time with my mom's sister Tia Toti, the highlight was when my fathers sister, Tia Lala, brought her family to meet Timmy.  Here are a few pictures of their visit:



Jacob was so sweet with his new little cousin.  It was great seeing him let loose at my parents home.


This is my cousin Janie's family.  Janie and Mike use to let me stay at their home when I would come visit from College Station.  They only had two children then, but were so cool. They always knew how to have a fun time, and this visit was no different.  They now have five very well behaved children, their teenage daughter even offered to watch the little girls while us adults went shopping!!! 

 
Here are Arianna and Alethea, the two youngest, holding their second cousin. 

 
Sarah and I haven't always been the close friends that we are now.  In fact we didn't really get along when she first got engaged to my cousin.   She likes to remind me of the time they took me to watch The Talented Mr. Ripley.  After the movie ended, I walked out saying "that was a colossal waste of time" when she in fact enjoyed the movie!!!  At some point after the wedding, we became fast friends. 

Here is a picture of my beautiful Aunt.  It was a wonderful visit which made it difficult to leave, but I was anxious to get back to Tim and my sweet girls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment