Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Timothy's Birth Story

On the anniversary of his birth I want to publish my birth story.  I can't believe it's been a year already!

Where do I start with this story?  I suppose it starts May 7th, when I felt a little off and picked up a pregnancy test to rule out the possibility of being pregnant.  After my cousin Jamie Walker ran to the dollar store for a few more confirmations, we knew that we had a baby on the way. 

This pregnancy had been an emotional and physical roller coaster, much different than my two previous ones.  I thought after my first two births that I was made to birth babies, but it's very obvious now that I am average.  We were convinced that the baby was another girl.  We had decided to not find out the sex of the baby until it was born, but Tim was convinced after seeing the ultrasound that we were having a girl.  Apparently you need to see more than two ultrasounds to make you a qualified ultrasound tech.  Also, Tim and I felt that the baby would come early, not sure if it was my weight gain, fatigue, or size but we were convinced that "she" would be here before the 11th.


We had two false alarms prior to New Years Eve, the 27th and the 29th.  So when I was having contractions on the 31st, I wasn't convinced that we were having a baby.  After dinner we noticed the contractions progressing and I began bleeding.  So rather than listen to Tim ask me for the 100th time if we needed to go to the hospital, I agreed to go when contractions were pretty steady at 4 minutes apart for about one minute. 

 
As soon as we arrived at Northside Hospital (a little after 10 pm) my contractions begin to slow down; however we decided to check in anyway.  Still convinced that we were having the baby in 2012, I quickly applied my make up so that I could look glamorous in my birth pictures. My doula Mandi Call arrived around midnight.

At 7am we were introduced to Kayla, our shift nurse, who at first came across as a little to "say it like it is", but we quickly found a fondness for her and I am so grateful she was there during my delivery. 
It was obvious I wasn't in labor, but we could not figure out where the bleeding was coming from.  After a few nameless procedures to see if we can get my body into action did not work, we decided that breaking my water would be most natural way to proceed.  By 3:00 PM things were really picking up.  My doula and Tim were wonderful supports allowing me to hang onto them as I worked through every contraction.

I can honestly say that this is where things get a little fuzzy for me.  Which will explain the brokenness of the following paragraphs.  Tim and I worked through very intense contractions, with me leaning on Scripture "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Asking Lori Braswell from Roswell OBGYN, my midwife, to check me and at 7cm asking if it was too late for pain medication. I am pretty sure it wasn't but she and everyone around me told me it was (which I told them to).  That was ok, it was all I needed to get me to transition, when it was really to late. 

 
I remember Lori not understanding why he wasn't moving down, so she checked me and found out that he's transverse (head to one side).  We tried different positions.  I asked the midwife to stick her arms up and just pull him out.  I looked at the midwife and told her "I can't do this....I need to rewind and start over" to which the shift nurse says "Sure honey you can start over lets just get THIS baby out".  I would be remiss if I didn't say I was full of self doubt constantly yelling "I can't do this", but Tim and Mandi were my cheerleading section giving me constant support and praise.  I have no clue how long I pushed, I think it was for about an hour.  Then the magic moment came, and in my squat I was able to grab onto him while he was coming out and pull him up to my chest. We were so certain it was a girl that when the midwife said, "Look what it is"...we were in total shock that "my girl" had out door plumbing.  :) Never in a million years did I think Timothy Atticus Walker would be two pounds heavier than Isabella.  It's no wonder it took longer to work him down.



As you can see, I didn't get my glamorous picture.  That's ok, I now realize that if you have time to put on makeup...your there too early.  :)


This is where I need to brag on Lori and the staff at Northside Hospital.  Aside from a nurse coming in during the delivery to see what all my noise was about, it was hands down a better birth than at North Fulton.   My midwife didn't leave my side, despite pressures of other pending births, and for that I am forever grateful.  They brought in all sorts of contraptions to help me achieve the experience I wanted: wireless monitoring, birth ball supports, & squat bars.  They even brought me breakfast, granted it was early in the day, but it gave me the energy I needed to birth my baby.  It was such a healing experience for my doula and I who's first births at Northside were disappointing to say the least.   To anyone who might have reservations about natural childbirth at Northside, don't, it all comes down to your midwife or OB.  Lori, knew exactly what I wanted and did everything she could to make sure it happened. 

One last person I need to thank is Mandi Call.  It was so refreshing to have her there for a myriad of reasons.  Doulas always carry with them a magic bag of ticks.  Your hot, there is a fan.  Your uncomfortable, here is a special massage oil.  Thank you Mandi for taking this birth, we couldn't have done it with out you. 









No comments:

Post a Comment