Thursday, July 29, 2010

Abigail's first two weeks

Abigail's first two weeks flew by here at the Walker residence. I'll try to recap the best I can. Although, I am gauranteed to leave a good bit out with my mommy brain.
We came home on Friday July 16th and really just tried to settle into our new lives. Abigail had a bit of jaundice, so the next three days were followed by trips to either the pediatrician or Children's. Thankfully we didn't have to take any action, as it seemed to have worked itself out.
Auntie Aimee, Lita (what Isabella will call my mom), and Grandpa Chendo we're a tremendous help the past few weeks. My mother didn't let us let us lift a finger in the kitchen, Aimee made countless errands for us, and my father spent 10 days working in the dead of summer making our yard something we could be proud of. I recently read that in some cultures, mom's are isolated from domestic responsibilities for 40 days so that they can bond with their babies. These cultures have very low incidences of baby blues, and I now know why. Their support allowed me to feel more confident in my mothering, and helped me to recover physically . I can only pray for the opportunity to care for my girls as my mother cared for us.

Isabella has taken well to Abigail, hugging and kissing her every chance she gets. A couple of times a day she will pat the couch next to her asking me to place Abigail into her lap. She is however, getting a bit stir crazy not having a busy social calender. With the heat, we've had to stay indoors and have been advised by our pediatrician to keep Abigail home as much as possible. So we're trying our best to keep her entertained, although it's easier said than done.

Sleep has not been an issue, Abigail gives us about 5-6 hours of uninterrupted sleep each night. It could change at any moment, but we'll take what we can get. I think it's largely due to the fact that I am much more relaxed as a second time mother. My parents said that I was a nervous wreck with Isabella, not letting people talk or help with her. They really do feed off your nervous energy.

We have not been anywhere exciting, and I am ok with that. It's allowed me to take it easy, bond with my baby, and to minimize my stress level. Here is a slide show of the Walker's first two weeks with Abigail.










No comments:

Post a Comment