Thursday, September 30, 2010

My couponing adventure



Since we started tracking our money, one of our largest expenses (not including our mortgage) has been food & grocery. At our last MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) meeting, I sat in a presentation on couponing. I couldn't believe that you could walk out of a store with free items. Furthermore, I was surprised at how much less I could be paying for things that I've been paying retail for.

With resources like http://www.southernsavers.com/ & www.thekrazycouponlady.com/ I've learned that by collecting coupons and using them when items are already on sale, I can buy at rock bottom prices. Compound manufacture coupons with store coupons, and you walk out of there with free items in your cart.

At my MOPS table was a savvy shopper, who met me at Publix to show me the ropes. My plan was to follow her around, but she had a few coupons that she shared with me. I bought:

1. Two pledge wipes at $1.29 each
2. Two Barilla Pasta's: $0.14
3. Whole Fruit Sorbet: $0.45
4. One box of Crackerful Chedder Snacks & One box of Saltines, 1/2 gallon of milk: $1.85
I spent a total of $4.60 and saved $12.69!!! I am hooked, I'll never pay full price for something unless I absolutely need it. This gave me such a sense of accomplishment, because it's a tangible result of my work here at home. I know I add value with every moment I am interacting with the girls, managing the home, and nourishing our family. However it's a totally different experience when you see the fruits of your labor immediately.
I am still a young whipper snapper at this couponing game, but I'll climb the learning curve in no time. Stay tuned for more savings.

No comments:

Post a Comment