Monday, June 20, 2011

Father’s Day 2011

This Father's Day was what I would call simply sweet. It started off with giving Tim his gifts in bed. Isabella presented him with one of his maps we framed, and Abigail (with much help from mommy) gave him a new bag to carry to and from work. I made such an effort to get cards out to our fathers, that I totally forgot a card for Tim. Having just received a hand written card on the back of an envelope for my birthday (something that meant a lot to me), I sat down to write Tim a note expressing my gratitude for the father that he is. He works harder than any man I know. Mentally drained after a long day at the office, he's always ready to help me with the girls, dinner, or even dishes. If that wasn't enough he works on the weekends making our home something to be proud of. The time he spends reading Isabella A Little House on the Prairie as she goes to sleep, conversations over dinner where he's constantly teaching our girls, and the creative play that echoes the sweet sounds of laughter are a few of the many things that make our girls blessed to call him father. I hope that in posting this I will be reminded of his devotion to us the other 364 days of the year.

I read a friends blog today and I loved how she interviewed her children about their father, so I copied her over dinner today. Here is what Isabella said about her father:

Mommy: What do you love about your father?

Isabella: He's special. He's soooooo big!!!!!

Mommy: What do you do with daddy?

Isabella: Plaaaay

Mommy: Play what?

Isabella: Those!!! (pointing to her tower of Legos)

As for Abigail her response to everything is a variation of "dada" and a smile. Perhaps next year she'll have more to say. If you were to ask me the same questions about my father here is what I would say:

Question: What do you love about your father?

Angela: His commitment to principle, his big heart, and his generosity.

Question: What do you do with daddy?

Angela: Talk to him about 5 times a week over the phone.

Question: Talk about what?

Angela: Whether it's about what we're going to plant next at the ranch, my plans for a real estate career….he's always lending a ear during my day.

 
My father is so much more than these three simple answers, but I'll leave that for another post.Happy Fathers Day to all you great dads.

No comments:

Post a Comment