Sunday, May 2, 2010

Trip to Fort Wayne, IN

As I mentioned in my earlier posting, we visited Tim's Grandma Dorton in Fort Wayne. In years past, we've flown direct; however flights into FW are cost prohibitive which forced us to fly into Indianapolis and drive 2.5 hours. The flight and ride were manageable getting us in Fort Wayne at 3pm. Isabella warmed right up to Grandma and her telephone. We picked up take out and played cards that evening. Grandma's game of choice these days is Yukor, which I would describe as a take on Spades. It's amazing that even at 92 she can still hold a candle to her grandkids.


The following morning we had breakfast with Dawn and Dan Shirk, Tim's cousins. It was so great to meet and chat with them and their gorgeous daughter Gabriella. Immediately after breakfast we picked up Grandma Dorton and went to the Children's Zoo. She was not a big fan of the seals, but loved watching the ducks and peacocks roam about the zoo. I had a good time in the petting zoo with Isabella, as did the goat that would not stop eating my shirt and hair. Our favorite were the little penguins that got up close and personal with the zoo's patrons.




During Isabella's nap I set out to Home Depot for flowers to plant in Grandma's outdoor space. Upon arrival and Isabella's awakening we had lunch outdoors, as we didn't have a high chair and wanted to keep the pasta sauce off the carpet.

Isabella and I went for a nature walk that is behind the development. It's amazing the transformation she makes when she's outdoors. She's like a little cave baby, who was born to be outside. No fussing, no tantrums, so agreeable makes me want to spend the majority of our days outside.

After Tim diligently planted over 30 plants, we set off to dinner at Don Hall's The Factory. Isabella learned to snap herself out of her high chair and in protest stood up and started yelling. Rather than ruin our and every one's dinner we took Isabella outside and took turns eating our dinner. The food was fantastic, but Isabella certainly ruined our dinning experience. So much so that we have deiced not to take her out to eat until we fix a few discipline issues. We ended another night playing cards, where I won TWICE!!!!!! I never beat those two at cards, and victory was sweet!!!!

The following morning we took Grandma to breakfast and spent some with her at her place. After a few pictures and hugs we began the torturous trip back to Atlanta. We boarded our plane an hour after her nap time, and it was not fun once we hit the skys. After one hour of fighting to get her to sleep, she finally fell asleep during the last 10 minutes of the flight. Our trip back started at 9:30 am and ended at 6pm, but for that sweet lady we would do it again in a heart beat. I can't express how special it is each and every time I get to interact with Grandma. She really is one of the sweetest ladies I've ever met. Always giving people the benefit of the doubt and seeing the best in them...two attributes we all can stand to exhibit more often. We are so lucky to have her in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment